Wise Acres Farm grows 2.5+ acres of certified organic vegetables and berries for two local farmers’ markets and a CSA program. 2018 will be our 7th season farming on this land.
We count on our employees to help us care for our land, operate a financially sustainable business and provide our community with fresh, local, yummy produce.
Farm Worker - Full-Time
We seek a full-time farm worker to help us in the daily work of the farm from mid-May to mid-October. Primary tasks include planting, cultivating, harvesting, washing and packing a wide variety of produce and cleaning and maintaining our harvest containers, tools and production spaces. Farm workers may also make deliveries or staff our farmers' market stands. We focus on a number of crops (snap beans, berries, cherry tomatoes, more snap beans) that require frequent long picking sessions. Employees work closely with the principal farmer, the assistant farmer and other employees with ample opportunity for discussing the hows and whys of daily tasks.
- Experience and appreciation for physical outdoor work (farming, landscaping, building trades, trail/conservation work, etc.)
- Attention to detail, efficiency and ongoing improvement while performing repetitive tasks
- Willingness to take both direction and initiative
- Proactive, honest and constructive communication about work-related information and personal needs
- Ability to lift and walk a short distance with 50 lbs
- Ability and appropriate clothing to work outside in all weather conditions
- Reliability and punctuality
- A valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and reliable transportation
- A positive attitude and a sense of humor and purpose
- Availability to work mid-May through mid-October
We work Tuesday-Friday from 7 AM-5PM with an hour-long unpaid lunch break. Additional shifts on Saturday (4-6 hours) may be required from July to early October. Our base wage is $11/hour and increases based on experience and performance. We do not offer housing or meals, but we do offer access to our surplus organic produce. Full-time employees also receive a CSA share. We are located 20 minutes northwest of Bangor in a beautiful, peaceful spot.
Farm Worker - Part-Time
We may have additional work available on a part-time basis or during school vacation. Job expectations (other than schedule) and application requirements are the same for part-time positions. Please state clearly that you are applying for short-season/part-time work when you contact us.
To apply, please email us:
1. A cover letter addressing why you want to work for Wise Acres Farm and what qualities and skills will help you meet the job expectations listed above
2. A resume that includes complete work and educational history for at least the past 5 years.
3. Two or three work- or education-related references with title and contact information
Final candidates will be expected to complete an on-farm interview.
If you have questions about working on the farm or the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.